City Council Meetings
The City Council welcomes your attendance and participation at its meetings. The council meets on the Third Monday of each month at City Hall, 101 East Main. Comments from the public are welcome during the “Public Comments” portion of the agenda. (Refer to Rules of Decorum listed below as adopted by City Council February 11, 2002).
Rules of Decorum: In order to conduct City business in an orderly fashion, and to properly discharge its duty, the City Council must hear in many instances a variety of differing viewpoints. To obtain all relevant information from differing viewpoints, rules of decorum are necessary. Thus, the City Council adopted the following rules to assist in the orderly deliberation of matter affecting the City and its citizens.
- The session shall begin with an invocation followed by the Pledge of Allegiance to the flag of the United States of America.
- No Council Member, staff person, or member of the audience shall berate, embarrass, accuse, or show any personal disrespect for any member of the staff, Council Members, or the public at any Council meeting.
- While the City Council is in session there shall be no smoking of cigarettes, pipes or cigars; no consumption of any kind by the audience; no propping of feet on tables or chairs; no loud noises, talking, shouting, etc.; no loud demonstrating for or against the Council or any speaker, issue, or presentation; no applause, booing, hissing, foot stomping, parading, singing, or other disruptive inappropriate behavior.
- Demonstrations shall not be permitted while the City Council is in session, including marches, chanting, picketing, any other coercive, argumentative, political, and/or disruptive behavior of any kind.
- In addressing the City Council, members of the audience shall rise, go to the podium, and remain standing while addressing the Council. They shall remain at the podium and speak into the microphone for the recording of the proceedings and begin by giving their full name and address. Citizens shall not approach the City Council table except with permission or request of the Mayor or City Council.
(These rules are not meant to restrain a citizen’s first amendment rights).
In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, individuals who will require accommodations at the meeting are asked to advise the Administrative Assistant no later than 48 hours prior to the meeting so that arrangements can be made (387-4589).